Family SUVs must juggle a lot of different things at once. They have to be spacious, comfortable, practical and economical. Of course, the best family SUVs do all this and more. They also provide:
- Good fuel economy and miles per gallon
- Lots of safety tech, such as driver assistance systems
- A five star Euro NCAP safety rating
- Useful family features, like rear ISOFIX child-seat fittings
- An easy day-to-day drive for the school run
- A well-sized boot with little to no lip
- Plenty of storage spaces for books, electronics and toys
The Best SUV Body Type for Families
SUVs come in all shapes and sizes and there’s a different body type to suit all kinds of uses, from small sports utility vehicles and crossovers to large 7-seaters. The best type completely depends on your needs. If you have a large family, you could also read our top 10 lists of:
- The Best 7-Seater SUVs
If you have a small family, check out:
- The Best Hybrid SUVs
Top 10 Best Family SUVs
You might notice a little crossover between this list and the lists above, with this list being a mix of the best SUVs for families, no matter the size. All of the cars on this list scored the highest star rating in Euro NCAP safety tests, apart from our tenth-place slot, which scored three stars out of five.
Read on to discover our top picks.