The best family cars for camping have to juggle several things at once. They need to be reliable and tough enough to face muddy terrain and the elements, as well as needing to be suited to your everyday needs. You’ll want a car that’s:
- Spacious for the kids
- Roomy enough for your camping gear
- Scored highly with the Euro NCAP safety rating
- Suited to the school run
Best Body Types for Family Camping Cars
Family cars ideal for camping come in all shapes and sizes, much like families themselves. Each body type has its own set of pros and cons worth considering too. If you like camping in comfort, you’ll typically want a larger car. Things you’ll need to bear in mind:
- SUVS and MPVS come with extra space and storage, but usually have higher running costs than a hatchback.
- Hatchbacks prove good value for money and are cheap to run, but may lack the space you need for your outdoor equipment.
- Estates offer storage and roomy boots like SUVS and MPVS, but their day to day running costs are closer to a hatchback.
- Saloons are usually larger than hatchbacks, yet have smaller and less practical boot openings making it trickier to store your camping gear.
Useful Features of Family Cars for Camping
Campsites today are usually well equipped for all kinds of vehicles, with parking bays and facilities to boot. However, if you like pitching a tent beside your car then it’s worth considering four-wheel-drive options, especially if you like going off-road to find a tranquil camping spot. For a comfier journey, you’ll also want to look out for:
- Air conditioning
- USB ports to keep electronic devices fully charged
- Electric windows
- A boot space with little to no lip
- ISOFIX fittings
- A car you enjoy driving
With these points in mind, take a moment to consider your motoring needs. Now read on for our top 10 family cars that are best for camping.