Millions of drivers don’t know that they must carry a motor insurance Green Card to drive on the continent if Britain leaves the EU with no deal, new research has uncovered.

In a study of 2,000 people by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), 55 per cent of respondents were unaware that a no-deal Brexit would mean motorists have to carry the extra documentation while driving on the continent.

The cards, which are issued by insurance companies, will become necessary as proof of insurance for people driving in Europe. Those who travel without one, according to the ABI, ‘may be breaking the law’.

Hugh Savill, director of regulation at the ABI, said: “Insurers have issued over 400,000 Green Cards to customers and, together with insurance brokers, have been busy alerting motorists to what they need to do if driving their vehicle in the EU, including Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland, in the event of a no deal.”

In addition, it turns out only 35 per cent of respondents said they’d heard of the motor insurance Green Card and, quite alarmingly, 20 per cent were not aware the law requires a valid driving licence.

Savill added: “As things currently stand, all drivers planning to take their vehicle to the EU after the 31stof October should, if they have not already done so, contact their motor insurer to arrange for a Green Card in good time for their trip.”