How to contest a parking ticket: private organisation  

It’s something all drivers dread, getting a parking fine slapped on the windscreen. If you have been given the fine from a private organisation and think it is unjustified, you can take action. has the advice you need and explains what to do next.   

The key point of difference with receiving a parking fine from a private organisation, as opposed to a local authority or the Police, is that legally there’s no set route to contesting the fine. 

The first step is to check if the company you received the fine from has an official appeal process and follow those steps. Remember, with any parking fine appeal evidence is key, so gather up as much as possible to support your claim, whether that be pictures, police reports or insurance documents. 

If the organisation doesn’t have an appeal procedure or you have trouble dealing with them, the next step is to find out if they belong to one of these two trade bodies; the British Parking Association (BPA) or the Independent Parking Committee (IPC). If the answer is yes, then you need to follow the appeal procedures for the association in question. Visit the relevant website for more information / 

If the organisation doesn’t belong to a trade body, or if you have tried the above and haven’t had your appeal reviewed and are still being chased for the fine, it’s wise to weigh up the cost of taking legal action to move your case along. It may end up costing you more than the fine itself, so choose carefully.