Germany is a country famed for its engineering prowess and this includes German auto manufacturers, who have a reputation for producing incredibly well-made and reliable vehicles. With some of the world’s most famous and recognisable brands, such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volkswagen, it’s very easy to see where this outstanding reputation comes from.
BUYING A USED GERMAN CAR
Knowing German vehicles have a solid build quality and a history of reliability, allows buyers to purchase a used car with confidence. Nonetheless, you still want to do all the regular checks as you normally would when purchasing any pre-owned vehicle. It is always a good idea to:
- Check the car with the seller and make note of any bumps, scratches or faults
- Check the interior quality and how well it has been cared for and maintained
- Look for any accident damage, from dents, to paint discolouration, and panel gaps
- Be prepared in advance to negotiate
- Be ready to walk away if the car or price is not right for you, but be honest and give the seller a chance to meet your expectations
Of course, first of all you want to consider which car is right for you. The German automotive industry is not the only one recognised for its engineering prowess. Japanese, South Korean, French, American, and British cars are equally popular and often have an equally reliable build quality – and in some cases even greater. If you still have your heart set on a used German auto, be sure to take into account:
- The car’s mileage (lots of models can still be very reliable over the 100k mile mark, others not so much)
- The price – you may be able to find a rival model from a different country for less
TOP 10 BEST GERMAN USED CARS
All of the cars featured in this list carry the hallmarks of German engineering, with great build quality, reliability, and those all-important stylish German looks, finished with a level of sheen and luxury. So please, read on to find out our top 10 best German used cars.