All cars sit within an insurance group, ranging from group 1 up to 50, with vehicles that are cheap to insure in the lower numbers and those that are expensive to insure in the higher. Typically, everyday hatchbacks, superminis, and city cars equipped with frugal engines will usually sit in the cheaper groups, whilst large SUVs, rare models, and high-performance vehicles are in the pricier insurance brackets. We’ve chose the top 10 best cars from group 1 to 50 to help give you an idea of the range of vehicles on offer.
What influences a car’s insurance group?
It is the group rating panel, supported by Thatcham Research, that is responsible for choosing a car’s insurance bracket, and this panel consists of members of the Association of British Insurers and the Lloyds Market Association. When it comes to assigning cars to a group, there is a meticulous system in place that involves several factors. These are:
- The price of a new car, which provides a guide to repair costs and replacements
- The price of parts, with cheaper costing parts usually resulting in a lower insurance group
- Repair times – the longer and more complicated, the higher the group
- Car security – more security equipment can lower the insurance group
- The car’s safety features – those with autonomous emergency braking (AEB) and driver assist technology are less likely to be involved in low speed collisions, which can result in a lower, cheaper rating
- The performance, because high-speed vehicles and those with quicker acceleration are often more likely to be involved in insurance claims, placing them in higher groups
- Make and model rarity can also result in a higher rating
- Even the bumpers are taken into consideration as their structure, shape, and alignment are integral to reducing damage
The top 10 best cars for each insurance group
We’ve broken the insurance groups down into 10 brackets going from 1-5 all the way to 46-50, choosing the leading cars available in each section to provide a varied range of vehicles, from the cheap to run, to high performers. Of course, cars can vary from group to group depending on the model and engine, so treat this list more like a useful guideline to help point you in the right direction. Please, read on to discover the top 10 best cars for each insurance group.