Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said that orders for its unconventional CyberTruck have surpassed the 200,000-mark.
Musk had claimed the company’s new Cybertruck, revealed late on Thursday, had almost 150,000 orders placed on Saturday.
The manufacturer boss tweeted that the model had accumulated ‘146K orders so far’, adding that this figure had been achieved without any advertising or paid endorsements.
He also revealed that of those 147,000 orders, 42 per cent of customers chose the dual motor variant, 41 per cent the range-topping tri motor version, and a mere 17 per cent the entry-level single motor option.
But this figure has been upped in the last couple of days, with Musk confirming that 200,000 orders had been made by early Monday morning UK time.
The news comes despite the truck’s somewhat troublesome reveal. Most notably, its windows shattered during a demonstration involving a ball being thrown at the EV’s ‘armoured glass’. To which, Musk said: “Maybe that was a little hard.”
Although, it must be said that after the event, the CEO tweeted a video of a successful test of the windows.
With the pickup truck market so massive in the US, Musk made it clear that the Cybertruck aims to take on popular rivals such as the Ford F-150 and, overall, it’s fair to say that the model has divided opinion, especially styling-wise.
The Tesla Cybertruck is set to go into production in 2021 but interested parties can pre-order it for a deposit of £100. In the States, the vehicle starts from $39,900 (£30,994), though it will also be coming to the UK.
November 25, 2019