If the worst happens while out on the road and you breakdown, the main thing to remember is not to panic. There are simple steps you can take to help you stay safe and get back on the road in no time.
Why not download our guide, print it and store it in your car for quick access to emergency breakdown numbers.
What to do if you breakdown:
1. Try to position your car as near to the kerb as possible.
2. Put your side lights, hazard lights, and in bad weather fog lights on.
3. Carefully exit your vehicle along with any passengers.
4. Keep a safe distance away from any moving traffic, 5 metres should be sufficient. If there’s a safety barrier or railings even better.
5. Look for road signs to determine your location.
6. Call your breakdown recovery service provider and wait for assistance.
7. If you don’t have a current policy, you can call a local garage or the Highways Agency which can tow you for a fee.
8. Alternatively, you can join a breakdown service provider on the spot which can be cheaper whilst providing you with cover for the future.