If you’ve returned to the school run and your car is falling apart at the seams, it’s time to look for a new set of wheels. While many new family cars cost north of £20,000, if you’re happy to go for a used model, you can get a huge amount of car for your money for under £10,000.
We’ve rounded up five of the most appealing family cars that you can find for well under £10,000, which should give you lots of space and practicality, sturdy child-proof interiors, sound reliability and crucially, high safety levels. Why not use our Smart Search to find the perfect car for you?
Supermini – Ford Fiesta
The Fiesta is the UK’s bestselling car – and not without reason. This supermini offers a reasonably spacious and practical interior for its size, nippy engines, low running costs and there are a huge number of models to choose from.
New versions start at £9,995 for the basic and underpowered entry-level version, but most buyers would be happier with a higher specification used model. With so many Fiestas on sale you don’t have to spend anywhere near £10,000 for a young, low mileage model.
A 2012 three-door 81bhp 1.25-litre Zetec model with less than 20,000 miles on the clock could be yours for £7,000 while £9,000 will get you a 12,000-mile five-door version, which isn’t even a year old.
Take a look at Ford Fiestas for sale here.
Medium car – Skoda Octavia
The Octavia isn’t the most glamorous car in the world, but it gives you a huge amount of practicality, strong performance and economy and a long list of standard equipment for bargain prices.
£6,000 is enough to buy you a five-year-old 1.4 TSI SE petrol with around 40,000 miles on the clock. This version is capable of 42.8mpg yet still accelerates to 62mph in less than 10 seconds.
Up the budget to just over £8,000 and the 2010 1.6 TDI CR SE could be yours. This diesel model returns claimed fuel economy of 62.8mpg, meaning that fuel bills should be low. If you have a full £10,000 to spend however, you can have a pick of engines and trim levels.
Search for used Skoda Octavia here.
People carrier – Ford Grand C-Max
For those with seven-seats on their wish list, the Ford Grand C-Max is a wise buy. This car gives those behind the wheel a car-like driving experience, without compromising on comfort for passengers.
£10,000 is more than enough to get you a low mileage diesel Grand C-Max which should last for many years to come. In 1.6-litre diesel form this machine returns 57mpg so you shouldn’t have to spend much at the pumps, though it does require a lengthy 12.3 seconds to accelerate to 62mph from a standstill.
Find a Ford Grand C-Max for sale here.
Small off-roader – Nissan Qashqai
The Nissan Qashqai has been a monumental sales success. What this means for used car buyers is that prices are reasonable and there are a huge number of cars for sale to choose from.
Buyers with £10,000 to spend could get a three-year-old 1.6-litre petrol model with around 30,000 miles on the clock within budget. This model returns 45.6mpg and can canter to 62mph in 11.9 seconds.
While this Qashqai may lack four-wheel drive, what it does have is a family-friendly interior and a reasonable amount of standard equipment.
Check out Nissan Qashqais for sale here.
Large off-roader – Honda CR-V
If you’re after a spacious four-wheel drive off-roader for £10,000 then look no further than the CR-V. This sensible SUV offers plenty of space in the cabin and the boot and has a strong diesel engine that powers it to 62mph in 10.3 seconds.
Fuel economy does lag behind some rivals though at 43.5mpg, thanks to the heavy 4×4 mechanics underneath. £10,000 will buy you a 2008 model that has covered around 50,000 miles. As Honda has a strong reputation for reliability, you needn’t be overly concerned about buying a six-year-old model with a reasonably high mileage.
Search for used Honda CR-Vs for sale here.
Motors.co.uk competitions have the following Terms and Conditions. If you have any questions regarding our competitions, please contact our Marketing department on firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- There is only one entry per person.
- Entrants must be at least 18 years of age and must be a resident of the UK.
- The competition is not open to employees associated with Motors.co.uk, and their associated companies or their immediate families.
- Prizes may not be transferred to any other person and there are no cash alternatives or alternative prizes available.
- One winner will be randomly selected from all valid entries.
- Fuel voucher will be awarded in the form of Tesco vouchers to the value of £50. These can be redeemed against fuels at Tesco petrol stations.
- The winner must respond by midday on Friday 7th November 2014.
- Motors.co.uk’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Competition end date is Friday 31st October 2014. Motors.co.uk reserves the right to close the competition early.
- Motors.co.uk Ltd is registered in England and Wales under company number 5975777 with registered office at Central House, Leeds Road, Rothwell, Leeds, LS26 0JE. Motors.co.uk Ltd is part of the Manheim Group.