Automatic gearboxes have come a long way in the last ten years so our pick of the best automatic cars of 2018 may surprise you (especially our number one spot). If you’re just starting your driver’s journey, remember – with a full UK manual driver’s license – you can drive a manual or an automatic, but if you learn to drive in an automatic car, you can only drive autos (unless you take another driving test).
Automatic vs Manual Gearboxes
Whilst popular in America, UK car-buyers have historically avoided automatic gearboxes in favour of manual transmissions. Wisely, that’s now changed, and automatics are more popular today than ever before. This is great news, as the cutting-edge technology used in today’s autos provides a fantastic driving experience. With an automatic gearbox, you’ll find:
- The car is easier to drive with smoother transitions
- You won’t stall (unless there’s a mechanical fault)
- It’s easier in heavy traffic
- You get more fuel for your money
- It’s easier to tackle hilly terrain
- You have a relaxed driving experience that lets you focus on the road ahead
2018’s Top 10 Automatic Cars
For this list, we’ve chosen cars that can be bought as a manual or an automatic (rather than choosing electric models, which are always automatic). If you’re interested in electric cars, check out our list of The Best Electric Cars in the UK. Now, read on for our top 10 automatic cars of 2018.