Which sin are you guilty of?

July 15, 2008 | By | In Statistics

UK car drivers are officially motoring sinners according to a recent survey. Gluttony was highlighted as the biggest sin of all, with a whopping 75 per cent admitting to stuffing their faces behind the wheel whilst 66% confessed to lustful thoughts about fellow road-users.

Here at Motors.co.uk, we canvassed the opinions of almost 1000 motorists’ to determine the saints from the sinners on UK roads and to help drivers salve their conscience by admitting the acts they are guilty of committing.

We came up with this definitive list;

Gluttony – Eating and drinking at the wheel

Greed – Hogging more than one lane

Envy – Checking out another driver’s motor

Lust – Getting amorous in the car/checking out another driver

Sloth – Lazy driving/cutting corners

Pride – Checking appearance/applying make up in rear view mirror

Wrath – Road rage

‘Vanity Veras’ accounted for more than half of the sinners with 55% of respondents admitting to putting on make-up, combing their hair or checking their appearance in the rear-view mirror whilst driving. Although only a demure 1 in 20 (5 per cent) confessed to getting amorous in their vehicle, two thirds (60 per cent) confessed to having lustful thoughts about drivers in other cars.

Green- eyed envy affected 60% of drivers who owned up to coveting other people’s motors and a lazy 25% of all drivers admitted to sloth like behaviour in their day to day driving, especially cutting corners, whereas only 1 in 6 (20 per cent) confessed to being a road hog and regularly taking up more than one lane when in their motor.

More than half of all car drivers pointed the finger at young motorists as the worst offenders, while more than a third named elderly drivers as the group most likely to commit sins behind the wheel.

Regionally, drivers in the North East came out top as the biggest sinners – while drivers in Wales earned the halo for saintliness. Acts of wrath have been kept under wraps with only one in five confessing to taking part in road rage, yet a whopping 40 per cent highlighted this as the worst sin conducted by others on the road. Almost half specifically named tailgating as the worst of these sinful acts.

Commenting on the findings, Katie Armitage from Motors.co.uk, said: ‘It soon became clear after seeing the results generated by our latest survey that we are indeed a nation of sinners when it comes to being behind the wheel. It seems that drivers were more open about admitting to eating behind the wheel than with more serious offences like road rage, which we know is on the rise.

‘Although this survey was conducted with humour in mind, the results have clearly shown that modern day driving distractions are a real issue and bugbear for all drivers, so we hope that by highlighting the issues drivers may now be more aware of the sins they are committing on a daily basis.'

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close