One in five drivers still phone while on the move

August 20, 2009 | By | In Statistics

Results from a motors.co.uk poll shows a fifth of motorists still put themselves at risk.

One in five drivers still use their mobile phones while driving – even though research has shown that chatting at the wheel puts you at far greater risk of crashing.

A poll on the motors.co.uk web site showed that 19% of drivers still talked regularly by phone while on the move. The rest (81%) said they never used their mobiles to make or receive calls while driving. This comes despite the penalty for talking on a hand-held while driving sitting at a £60 fine, plus three penalty points.

The results from our poll comes despite a study by the Transport Research Laboratory that says drivers are four times as likely to crash if they on the phone while driving – even if they are using a hands-free set-up. But the level of convictions – in south Yorkshire alone, police last year issued 5000 tickets for the offence – shows that the problem persists. And now, a number of insurers now rank points on your licence for illegal mobile phone usage as seriously as they do convictions for careless driving – which means they increase premiums and, in some cases, even refuse cover.

Do you text while driving?

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close